Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kim Kardashian’s Wedding - “True” History Tuesday


72 days ago Kim Kardashian married NBA star Kris Humphries.  The world went completely cra cra.  I’m still baffled why anyone actually gave a shit about this wedding and all the hype surrounding it.  Perhaps I’m cynical because, being a lesbian; I’m denied the option of legally wedding my partner of over 16 years.  Not that I really believe a legal certificate makes a relationship real (clearly Kardashian made that point for me), but having that option available to you seems like a fair enough request.  It especially seems like a fair request when ridiculous shams like this happen.  Not that I can slight Kardashian, I mean she got rich off this deal…mostly because people go completely crackerjack insane over fairy tale weddings.  If I were her, I’d be laughing at all the morons who bought into this shit and skipping to the bank to cash all the checks (checks, BTW, that add up to $27,000,000).  I think a writer for Chicago Now put it best:  “I figured out that between the $10MM cost of her wedding (she didn’t pay a dime) and the reported 17MM she received for doing it, it was $651 per minute marriage.  Or $10.85 per second.  Minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.  In a 40 hour work week that comes to $290; per year it’s $15,080.  So basically, the amount that was spent on Kimbo getting married would pay a minimum wage annual salary to 1,800 people.”  Click here for full story.

I’ve never watched her show, I didn’t care that she got married and I don’t so much care that she is getting divorce, but the principal of it all annoys me.  I’d like to make a joke about it and say this is “true” history, but it is just true.  Setting aside a group of people and denying the right to marriage is discrimination.  I don’t really get mad about it, because you get used to that kind of stuff.  But I do get mad, when something like the Kardashian wedding and now divorce after 72 days happens.  Gays should be able to make a mockery out of the sanctity of marriage just like the straights.  It just isn’t fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment